Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sleepin' With Someone

this post is dedicated to Woody P. Our family loves him like he was one of our own...
As some of you know, Middle H is our gentle-souled one. He loves animals. He frequently shares our home with various live 'things'. He will literally pick bugs out of spider webs in a rescue attempt, he'll carry around a lady bug for an hour and will cry when she falls or leaves on her own accord. He cares for worms and many other unsightly creatures, and he's even been known to pick up spiders. Umm, hello?!?!


His greatest animal love, by far, is for our dog Montgomery. If I scold the Montgomery, I will quickly be scolded by H. "Mommy, he's NOT a bad dog" "Mommy he just wants some food, etc..." If he's waiting at the outside door, "oh, come in good boy, I'm so sorry you are cold." It's a beautiful thing to watch your own child have such a thoughtful heart. Which brings me to the tear-filled eyes that inspired me to post this today. I was gently urging H. that it was time to go in his room for his nap. Not surprisingly, he resisted. After a few more requests by me, he said, "okay, but I'm going to sleep on Montgomery's bed with him." My response, "H., honey, his bed is dirty and he's an old dog and just wants to nap and you can't sleep on the floor!" (Jeez, enough already Mom!) His response? "But you get to sleep with someone everynight and I don't." "I want to sleep with him." He really did have tears in his eyes. Well, off to get the blankets I went - the pillow, the blanket for the FLOOR and the blanket to put on top of my sweet 4 1/2 year old boy. Montgomery wasn't sure what the h. was going on and he entertained the idea for a bit and then much to H.'s sheer sadness, the 'ole boy got up and walked away. Maybe we'll try again tomorrow.

1 comment:

Michelle & Luke said...

that is the most precious story ever!!! middle h is a man after my own heart :)