Friday, November 7, 2008

Butter on the Lips

It's Friday. Always glad it's Friday.

This morning, as we were munching our way through breakfast number 1, (Quick diversion: You see, I typically feed the "animals" 3 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 3 snacks and 1 dinner followed occasionally by a treat of some sort. Breakfast drags on and on and on. I guess that when you are up with the birds, you must inherently need to feed like birds. However, unlike birds who seem quite content with seeds and worms over and over, my little turkeys NEVER want the same thing twice...) in that sweet, scratchy voice of his, middle H. exclaimed, let's go to ELMERS!

You are on, sweet blonde boy, what a grand idea! That should nullify our next 2 breakfasts perfectly well. Besides, I had wanted to go to the library and it doesn't open until 10am. I might even be able to fit in a stop at the drycleaners.

So, off J, H and I went to Elmers. They love the pancakes and truthfully, I'm quite a fan of the french toast at our Elmers that is a mere hop, skip and a light-free jump from us.

We colored, we ordered (I don't order for middle H, he knows quite precisely what he wants), we waited oh so patiently, and we looked out the windows at all the "UCKS" (little J) driving by on Highway 99.

As predicted, our warm pancakes and french toast showed up in a timely fashion and we all dug in. Why did I write all of this? Because I actually took time to stop. After enjoying a decent part of my breakfast, I stopped. I adoringly watched these two darling little boys slather their pancakes in BUTTER (H) and dip their fingers in the syrup to get just the right bite and I let my breath be taken away. I ignored the drips, the over-adbundance of syrup and the little mess that would take a mere seconds for someone to clean. I watched their little faces so happy and so content with their breakfast. I thought about how lucky, I mean LUCKY I am to have these boys with me to take me to breakfast. To show me that the morning isn't about all the things we need to clean, or get done or pick up or do. They reminded me that life is about the here. The now. The health and happiness that we are so fortunate to have. Just the butter and the syrup. What beautiful boys I have. What a sweet morning it was.

1 comment:

Michelle & Luke said...

Oh that is so sweet! you're such a good mama. Can you imagine someday your grown up boys will take you out to breakfast!